Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Sri Lankan War

I just sent off a letter to Connie Levett from SMH for her story on the plight of the Sri Lankan Tamils. It was a 6 page online article; http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/tamil-children-swept-up-as-war-creates-a-new-monster/2007/03/16/1173722744349.html

It was so heart warming to see somene from the Australian media cover an issue from a part of the world thats barely mentioned here. When i read articles like this I sometimes wonder what would have become of me if my parents never moved me here. Would i be running around with a pointless university degree trying to get employed in a country where your name could automatically disqualify you for a job. Would i be part of the LTTE, maybe working in their PR department (ha!) or even brave enough to be a soldier. A doubt my mum would approve of that. But seriously, I miss Sri Lanka so much sometimes, I was lucky enough to grow up in an area not affected by war (besides the occasional suicide bomber). I want to go back sometime, maybe with a purpose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home